I may be a little biased but I never get tired of learning cool facts about our canine companions. Here are 10 of my favorite fun facts about dogs:
1. There are over 75 million pet dogs in the United States; more than any other country.
2. A dog’s nose print is unique, much like a person’s fingerprint.
3. Forty-five percent of U.S. dogs sleep in their owner’s bed.
4. Seventy percent of people sign their dog’s name on their holiday cards.
5. Your dog’s nose has as many as 300 million receptors, a human nose has 5 million.
6. Yawning is contagious! Research shows that the sound of a human yawn can trigger one from your dog. It’s four times as likely to happen when it’s the yawn of a person he knows.
7. Dogs curl up in a ball when sleeping to protect their organs; a holdover from their days in the wild when they were vulnerable to predator attacks.
8. Human blood pressure goes down when petting a dog.
9. When dogs kick backward after they go to the bathroom it’s not to cover it up, but to mark their territory, using the scent glands in their feet.
10. A recent study shows that dogs are among a small group of animals who show voluntary unselfish kindness towards others without any reward. 🙂
(American Kennel Club , 2020)